Monday, April 21, 2014

Thoughts On Frozen

I love Frozen.  We saw it for my 30th birthday, and every day until it was released on DVD my kids asked if we were going to get it.  Of course, I pre-ordered it as soon as I could, because I loved it, too.  They have watched it nearly every day since it arrived in our mailbox.

My daughter has this thing with Christmas songs (she gets it honestly), and since she was about 18 months old I've sung a selection of Christmas songs at bedtime (upon request) in lieu of lullabies, which she calls her "summer songs."  The Christmas songs, and mind you I only sing one verse if there are multiple verses, are: Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Holly Jolly Christmas, The First Noel, It Came Upon a Midnight Clear, Silent Night, The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting), I'll Be Home for Christmas, and O Little Town of Bethlehem.  In case you're curious, her "summer songs' are:  Hush Little Baby, Rock-a-bye Baby, Brahms Lullaby, and The Riddle.  On occasion I throw in the verses I can remember of Scarborough Fair.  Anyway, back to last night...

I started singing Rudolph, and since my son had been pretending to be Sven (the reindeer from Frozen) all evening, I changed the lyrics to include Kristoff and Sven in place of Santa and Rudolph.  Then it hit me like...Wow!  Frozen is in part Santa Claus is Coming to Town!!!  Oh, my goodness!  How did I not see this before?  Keep in mind that the characters I'm comparing are from movies - Frozen and Santa Claus is Coming to Town.

  1. The legend of Kris Kringle originates in Germany, which is a stone's throw from Arendal (Arendelle), Norway, where Frozen is set.
  2. Kris Kringle was raised by toy elves; Kristoff was raised by love trolls.
  3. The Winter Warlock wouldn't let the toy elves pass the mountain until Kris Kringle gave him a gift (toy train) which thaws his frozen heart and turns him human; Elsa the Snow Queen can't unfreeze Arendelle until Anna gives her the gift of true love which thaws a frozen heart.
  4. Kris Kringle flies in a magical slegh and talks to reindeer; Kristoff drives a sleigh (which flies off a cliff) and talks to a reindeer.
  5. Sweet, tender-hearted, school teacher Jessica (with reddish-brown hair) becomes Mrs. Claus; sweet, tender-hearted Anna (with reddish-brown hair) is loved by, and loves, Kristoff.
  6. Olaf the singing, dancing snowman is either Frosty or Sam the Snowman from the beginning of the Rankin/Bass Rudolph
  7. It's a stretch, but Hans is the Burgermeister
Did I miss any connections?

No comments:

Post a Comment